Montreal Alouettes have Tebow's exclusive CFL rights

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Montreal Alouettes have Tebow's exclusive CFL rights

Post by cowboysfan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 pm

Got to cover every base if we are on a fan forum Smile , this was information I did not know.

http://deadspin.com/5460646/tebow-and-the-cfl-a-match-made-in-inevitable-inevitable-heaven

Tebow And The CFL: A Match Made In Inevitable, Inevitable Heaven
I'm not saying Tebow's negotiations with the Montreal Alouettes are evidence he will wash out of the draft, then head north to play football. I'm just saying the CFL pays better than the UFL.

Marc Trestman has been a QB coach for eight different NFL teams, so it's no surprise that Tebow has been working with him in advance of the NFL draft. But Trestman currently happens to be the head coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

As a consequence of their association, the Alouettes' have added Tebow to their "confidential negotiation list," meaning that should he ever join the CFL, they have an exclusive option on his rights.

Now, while this is standard operating procedure, it's fun to speculate on Tebow's future, and extra fun when that future involves flunking out of America altogether. But when you look at it, Montreal would be a perfect fit for him.

First off, they're French-Canadian (read: Catholic) so they're all about that pro-life business (Ed note: Not true. I know. Stop emailing me). Second, they're reigning Grey Cup champions, and we all know Tebow's at his best when put on an already-successful franchise that runs a shotgun formation against an inferior level of competition. Remove any of those things, and he's powerless. This needs to happen.

cowboysfan
TGG-Banned
TGG-Banned

Back to top Go down

Re: Montreal Alouettes have Tebow's exclusive CFL rights

Post by Awesomo 3000 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:26 pm

I wonder if these guys can look at themselves in the mirror with a straight face. The rhetoric here is just unbelievably stupid. I'll highlight the exceptionally stupid pard...

First off, they're French-Canadian (read: Catholic) so they're all about that pro-life business (Ed note: Not true. I know. Stop emailing me). Second, they're reigning Grey Cup champions, and we all know Tebow's at his best when put on [The Broncos, who were] an already-successful franchise [with a 7-26 record] that runs a shotgun [-under center] formation against an inferior [-superior] level of competition. Remove any of those things, and he's powerless [to make it to the playoffs, let alone win one]. This needs to happen.[because I say so, dammit]

Awesomo 3000
TGG-Banned
TGG-Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:28 pm

If Tebow never plays another snap in the NFL, he will go out with a winning record and as a playoff game winning QB, with a division title to his name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Awesomo 3000 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Also... I'm a little confused as to how they would have "exclusive" rights to him...

Were they the first team to say "dibs!", or what? He talked to their coach once, now he's theirs?

Awesomo 3000
TGG-Banned
TGG-Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Tebowing on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Glossary of CFL Terminology

Negotiation List
A Club may claim exclusive negotiation rights to a specified number of players on its Negotiation List, and may make changes daily.
The full rules regarding Franchise Negotiation Lists can be found in Section 3 of the CFL By-laws.
Negotiation lists may contain import and non-import players, but teams may not list players who are considered a veteran by the terms of the CBA. Those players, when not signed by any team, are free agents and may negotiate and sign with any club.

Tebowing

Back to top Go down

Post by cowboysfan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:47 pm

probably a league rule or something , what I know about the CFL you can put in a thimble and have room left over for the Chinese army.

I know Warren Moon played there and Doug Flutie played there. I know their version of the Lombardi is called the Grey Cup.

That is my CFL knowledge in its totality.

cowboysfan
TGG-Banned
TGG-Banned

Back to top Go down

From Wikipedia

Post by JaxSuzy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 am

There is a significant difference in talent between the two leagues due to style of play; CFL teams often recruit skilled players who would be considered undersized by NFL standards. For this reason, there are few players who have played in both leagues, and even fewer who have achieved success in both leagues. Only two people have been elected to both the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and the U.S. Pro Football Hall of Fame: quarterback Warren Moon and coach Bud Grant. There are many cases of CFLers going to the NFL and having success, such as Pro Bowlers Joe Horn, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Joe Theismann, Cameron Wake, Doug Flutie, and Brandon Browner. Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy and Jeff Garcia are also good examples.
I didn't know that Joe Theismann played in the CFL before the NFL. I really want to see Tebow succeed as a QB in the NFL to show up everyone who said he couldn't. But if they try to make him play another position in the NFL, then I hope he goes to the CFL and does great.

JaxSuzy
TGG-Banned
TGG-Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Awesomo 3000 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 am

So they just get first shot at negotiating a contract, basically?

Sounds like if he doesn't sign, he's just a regular free agent.

Awesomo 3000
TGG-Banned
TGG-Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Remarker on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 am

I expect to see Tim playing in the NFL next year. Just sayin'

Remarker

Back to top Go down

Post by John Chisum on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 am

Remarker wrote:I expect to see Tim playing in the NFL next year. Just sayin'